Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Morality, again...sorry

In morality class we watched the movie John Q. For those unfamiliar with the movie please enjoy the following abridged version.

The main character of the movie, John Quincy Archibald’s son has a terminal heart condition but they can save him if he gets a heart transplant. John doesn’t have the money for the transplant and his insurance company screwed him over. So John holds up a hospital with a gun and he does get a transplant for his son and his son lives. Roll credits.

After watching this movie we were supposed to write an essay on whether John’s actions were moral or not. According to the Catholic Church’s rules it isn’t. But according to my essay the Catholic Church’s rules can stick it.

The only rules are these: What a man can do and what a man can’t do.

Or at least according to Captain Jack Sparrow.

And let us not forget what my good old buddy Abe said a few posts back: When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad. That is my religion.

Since when is it that the Pope gets to think that just because he is infallible he can never be wrong. When the Church takes a stance on something, even something as basic and complex as morality, they give us a set definite way that they say things are. When what they should say is here is how it usually is but there actually is some grey gray area.

Nothing is so sure; nothing is so definite; there is always an exception to the rules. Kinda like how I’m the exception to the all smart people are nerds rules.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that the only rule that has no exceptions is that there is an exception to every rule.

O yeah, and the Catholic Church can stick it.

Adam

No comments:

Copyright © 2007 Beth Adam Productions