Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Recognition (of the bitter reality of life and people moving on) Day

We’ve been denying it and denying it and denying it but we can deny it no longer: our seniors are leaving us. All of our two readers that are high school juniors and also share the same high school my web counterpart and I experienced, today, a cold slap in the face by reality commonly know as Recognition day.

This is the day when the graduating class is gathered together for one last school assembly to be recognized for their accomplishments.

This, in past years, has been the point when we realize that the seniors are leaving the school and are not planning to return.

Freshman year it was relatively painless; sophomore year it we were more aware and slightly sad; this year I was welling up. I can only imagine that it was bittersweet for the seniors, probably more sweet than bitter.

Luckily for me many of my closest friends are not going away for college, they are staying in the general vicinity. Others, plan to get the hell out; I don’t really blame them; that doesn’t mean they won’t be missed.

Mostly for the juniors I think, whether we had senior friends or not, it was the first time that we realized that from here on out there’s only us, there’s only this, forget regret because life is ours to miss.

But there is still time left.

Let us take a lesion from 19th century German philosopher/anti-Christ Friedrich Nietzsche who says “We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.”

Basically, I think he means that we should not waste our time with petty things and enjoy ourselves. Also, we should dance *ahem*.

My point is, let us not waste the time we have.

Adam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, but I got a big reminder long before recognition day, my "slap to the face" came about a half an hour before the final show of the Spring Musical. I had a hard time keeping my composure backstage, I was rather broken up...
But like you said, its not the end, just feels like it...

Anonymous said...

The time it really really hit me was when Paul gave his prayer speech. I do not even care if you'd have known paul a lifetime or about a month, that speech would move you. I have a lot of regrets about these past 3 years, and not spending more time to get to know all of the drama people and mainly befriend people like Paul and Breanna. I really only started to actually speak to Paul during state fair briefly, so naturally the friendship that I wanted to start did not have the time to grow greater than it is now. Paul is someone who I will miss terribly, he is a hilarious presence anywhere he is at and is incredibly enjoyable.

People like Scott and Johnny really helped me start talking in a stage of my life where I really just said nothing to anyone because shyness prevented it all (freshmen year I REALLY went to Gross). Without those two and Cameron and Dave Ackerman, I really would not be the loud and (hopefully) fun Monty that you all know and love today.

As for Matt, I went to STM so naturally I viewed him as one of the best. I silently have looked up to him the past 5 years because I knew he knew what to do. I have the highest respects for Matt as an actor, whether he knows I'm alive or not, I still consider him one of the people whom I try to base my acting on.

Either way, there is no way I will ever be able to thank this years seniors for the effects they have had on my life. They have been great leaders for the mostpart, and have set examples of what excellance is defined by. How high the bar set is ridiculous for us all right now, because I think 7B47B is easily the best musical I have ever taken a part of (not saying much) and possibly one of (if not) the best at Gross, ever (saying a lot). The seniors will be missed terribly. I know I will miss them because without doing Adrift in New York and having those seniors in my life, I know for a fact you wouldn't know I even exist.

Thank you seniors, how much we love and will miss you.

-Monty, who possesses emotions despite his great size.

PS- Adam, 3.

Copyright © 2007 Beth Adam Productions