Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Take a penny, leave a penny, lose a penny? you anti-American bastard

On the most recent episode of ABC’s Boston Legal, which you should all be watching, James Spader’s character Alan Shore says to an over zealous, overbearing, health freak, control freak boss guy “I see you at the salad bar. You always leave a penny, not take one. I admire that.” When I saw that I giggled, that Alan shore, he’s so clever, and witty, I love him. Anyways, the point is I didn’t think much of it except that it was genius writing as usual.

I didn’t think much of it, that is, until I stopped at the gas station to buy a Vault (it tastes like a soda but kicks like an energy drink). Basically, it’s slightly more flavorful then Mt. Dew and it costs $.89 as opposed to Mt. Dew’s $.99.

When I used to by Mt. Dew I would hand over a dollar and march right out. That’s right, I left that penny. I mean what kind of jerk takes one penny with them. But now that penny is accompanied by a dime and it seems much more worth while to take because I have to wait for the register person to take the dime out. So, why shouldn’t I take the penny as well?

It’s true, on occasion I’ve had to, as they say, take a penny. I’ll admit it; I’m not too proud. I mean I had fallen on hard times, I didn’t stop the gas pump right at $20.00 and it ran to $20.01. All I had was a Jefferson.

But, let us take a lesson from the man on the $100 bill.

Benjamin Franklin is often credited with the old maxim “a penny saved is a penny earned.” Could it be that if he were around today that Benny (we’re on a first name basis, you’re not, you can call him Mr. Founding Father) would be against the “take a penny, leave a penny” system?

Perhaps, but I’m sure he was too busy banging French whores to give a shit.

Adam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he was banging French whores, I believe he must have been going against his principles. Those whores couldnt have been free, though they may have cost a penny.

Anonymous said...

haha you are taking the ACT...



...me too...

Copyright © 2007 Beth Adam Productions